Friday, March 10, 2017

2.How do you give bad news

Hi everyone.Hope you are doing well.Today I encountered with a patient having Encephalomalacia.This means the brain has turned soft due to some trauma to head or due to lack of blood flow.Now the patient is 14 years old and her parents want to know what this is.This disease has no cure... there are some research on stem cell but practically a doctor cannot do anything to recover brain.Now I come to the point where I tell them the bad news.I explained it to them and referred them to neurosurgeon for further opinion.But this kind of hopeless cases should be kindly explained to parents... there should be no false hope... they need to know exactly what is going on... But this is very difficult for both doctor and patient.Also let them ask you all the questions.Dont shrug them off.Be empathetic and help as much as you can.
It is depressing but life is like that.I wish and pray that no parent has to see their child suffer from non treatable disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment